For many people, the only trouble that feels about flying is getting a bag and arriving at the airport on time. However, there are others who are more depressed about actual flights. Some studies have found that up to 40 percent of people have some level of anxiety about flying. People who experience fear will fly.
You can overcome your "terror of flying" (which is also called "terrore di volare" in the Italian language) by choosing a fear of flying course. Here are 5 tips designed to help you overcome your fear or at least manage them better.
1. Arrive early: If you already feel anxious about flying, it will be easier to calm down if you don't experience more of the same thing because you're late for your departure time. This will help to make your flying experience stressful if you arrive a few hours before the scheduled departure time. It's very helpful if you depart from a very busy airport.
2. Relax in the airport lounge: If you have access to the VIP Lounge, take the time to relax in a comfortable environment provided for you there. You will be able to stay away from all the busy airports that way.
3. Select the hallway seat: If you are susceptible to Claustrophobia, this will help alleviate the worries. You will have more freedom to move around the plane after reaching a height. If possible, select a chair that coincides with an emergency exit on the side of your plane. Usually, there is an additional foot space and you might even get a sense of pride of sitting where you can help others if needs must occur.
4. Bring a disturbance: Some studies that have been made indicate that only bringing something to distract from the actual flight can help reduce your anxiety. Many people carry favorite books or magazines and qualify as a disorder, but experts also suggest that something new and different may be more useful.
5. Preparation: Being prepared is one of the most important things you can do when you are afraid of flying. You don't want to worry because it's not comfortable, hungry, or tired. Wear loose clothes fit and shoes that are easily removed to undergo security.